Total preparation and cooking time: 50 minutes
- 1/2 onion, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1-1/4 cups prepared spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 hoagie rolls, split
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 pound Ranchline All Natural Ground Beef or Lamb
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 350°F. Combine meatball ingredients in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into twelve 2-inch meatballs. Place on rack in broiler pan. Bake in 350°F oven 25 to 30 minutes to medium (160°F) doneness, until not pink in center and juices show no pink color.
- Heat 2 tablespoons water in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion and bell pepper; cook and stir 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add spaghetti sauce, basil and meatballs; heat through, stirring occasionally. Serve in rolls; sprinkle with cheese.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition information per serving: 526 calories; 23 g fat (8 g saturated fat; 7 g monounsaturated fat); 133 mg cholesterol; 1089 mg sodium; 46 g carbohydrate; 4.0 g fiber; 34 g protein; 7.1 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 2.3 mcg vitamin B12; 4.8 mg iron; 23.5 mcg selenium; 5.7 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.